Thursday, April 18, 2013

Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood #11)




Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another....

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand.

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one.


Review:

So...I want to be as detailed as possible without ruining a story for you. I was very critical with this book. I have very good reason too, I love M/M fiction and I am a man, so there are certain things that will make or break a book for me. 

Where to begin......



J.R. in typical fashion uses the words, fuck, cock, and shit kickers. She wows us with a good sub plot story. A reader can usually pick out who the next book is going to be about. This time, however, she gives us a big, "fuck you".  You will walk away from this story scratching your head as to where the next book is going. 


Well, I just looked on Wiki and saw the next book is going to be called, The King. Looks like the political battle between Wrath and the Merry Band of Bastards. This pleases me....more than you know. 

I think the story between Qhuinn and Blay was dragged out and to sparse. Maybe JRW was scared of writing a M/M story and the reactions of her readers. Even with all the angst, the one thing holding the whole story up was Blay admitting that he and Saxton were split up. It only took eighty chapters to say it. If this truth was uttered earlier, maybe we would have gotten more. 

This gif says it all. This is what I wanted....MORE!


There is so much I want to say...so, if you do not like spoilers do not read anymore. 

1. JRW usually wraps up some of her MANY subplots. I have to admit, I am usually more of a fan of these than I am of the main story sometimes. This time, she adds more questions to the table. 

1. How the hell did Lash preserve Qhuinn's brother? I know the blood did it folks! No, seriously HOW? Was there some kind of suspended animation?  Star Trek or Alien style lol? 
2. The sex scenes, only one was hot, the rest were painful to read. As I stated on Goodreads, yes these are vampires, but come on!! Dry sex with a monster cock as JRW loves to describe...SHIT has to hurt! The M/F relationships she has written, the woman is always lubed up. Before you flame me, yes I am well aware of M/F and M/M sex. Also, the PA would tear the shit out of Blay's anus with no lube. I cannot get past this. I tried the entire time. Telling myself that this is a paranormal romance and shit happens. NO! JRW, writes her vampire with too many human traits to not think this a massive mistake. 
3. The battle over the throne...This, I am very excited about! 
4. IAm and his chosen and the princess...WTF! 
5. Xcor and his chosen...more drama llamas. 


6. Assail and his lady...I have read a plot like this before...I think JRW wrote it.....


7. Why did we only get to see Qhuinn's induction? I would have thought JM would have been first. Odd, me thinks.  


8. Finally, where the hell is the Scribe Virgin. I thought she was at Butch's induction, however she was not at Qhuinn's. I would think the mother of the race would make an appearance. Even if she did not agree with Wrath's changing of the law. I keep imagining her crying on a cloud somewhere, upset that her world has falling apart while the song, "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" is chirped by her birds. 


Not a bad story, just not a good M/M book. I had to really separate my fan girl moments over the great universe that JRW has created against the reality of so many better written M/M books I have read. 

Overall verdict: Qhuay did not get the justice they deserved. I declare a mistrial! 

 
Team Qhuay all the way!!! They will live on in my mind forever......



Best line ever...Below :)




Feel free to flame me below :) Still love you all long time!


Until next time,

Jay



4 comments:

  1. No flame. You are allowed your views. I loved their story and did not have a problem with non-realism, because as a paranormal fan, realism is not really what I look for. But I totally see your point. I loved The subplots in this book, not usually a fan, but Trez, Assail, and even the BoB, had me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait for The King! Love you! And great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO FLAME from me either BB !! to each as own. Loved the book, LOVE the brothers even more and Jay? I still consider you a man of worth, *hands you the lube* LOL
    Love ya!!
    Cynde

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, Jay, you amaze ;) Your review is dead on. I don't read a lot of M/M, so I'm not well-versed in the area, but I actually did wonder where the lube was a couple times... then I thought, Oh, hell, it's Quinn! He's an auto-luber! *snorts* But I do so love the Warden, so it'd take a lot for the stars to be wrested from my eyes when it comes to her writing... yep, yep, I'm a fangirl for life, me thinks ;)
    As always, love the pics you added to the review. They made me smile big :D
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I flame you! Really big fiery flames! lol jk*

    I'm with Lili on this one... the non-realistic parts to the sex didn't bother me because they are freaking badass vampires who get off on the pain and the rough sex most of the time! Great review bb, love you!!

    ReplyDelete