Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English #2)




Adrien English Mystery Series #2 Suffering from writer's block and frustrated with his tentative relationship with hot but closeted L.A.P.D. Homicide Detective Jake Riordan, gay bookseller and mystery writer Adrien English travels to northern California where he finds a body in his front drive. By the time the sheriffs arrive, the body has disappeared, and Adrien once again finds himself playing amateur sleuth. But when the game turns deadly, Adrien turns to Jake. Jake may be confused about some things, but keeping his lover alive is not one of them--no matter what the cost.

The second book in this series had me a little lost. I could not for the life of me figure out who the killer is. People say that this is a sign of a good author, however I like to be the one that says....


Anyway.....The last line of the first book left me with a big smile and I anticipated more Jake and Adrien in this book. However, realism took over and I was disappointed. 

Jake is deep in the closet. He calls Adrien "babe"and its cute to see him fight his urges. Yes, there is some resolution before the book ends, however we are left with a hope at the end that all will work out...somehow. 

This time, Adrien has went to his grandmother's land she left him. Here we get a myriad of interesting challenges.

1. Death...DUH! 
2. Pot..Lots O' Pot.. "puff..puff"
3. Lost historical mines. 
4. Ghosts?
5. Werewolves?
6. More homophobia
7. Couple nice sex scenes. 
8. Again, Adrian is a suspect and he has to prove he didn't do it.

Quotes:

“Adrien, people get killed all the time. Since when is it your job to find out what happened to them?"

"I'm not usually suspected of murdering them."

"You have been as long as I've known you.”
Josh Lanyon, A Dangerous Thing

“I never meant to get involved with you, Adrien.

Rest easy; you're not.”
Josh Lanyon, A Dangerous Thing


“Tiffs among the faggots were apparently the stuff of quiet merriment.”
Josh Lanyon, A Dangerous Thing


Another good story with a more hidden finale. I am onto the third!!!

Until Next time,


  

No comments:

Post a Comment