Monday, May 5, 2014

The Kill Order (The Maze Runner 0)




The prequel to the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series.

Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.

Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next. Now a disease of rage and lunacy races across the eastern United States, and there’s something suspicious about its origin. Worse yet, it’s mutating, and all evidence suggests that it will bring humanity to its knees.

Mark and Trina are convinced there’s a way to save those left living from descending into madness. And they’re determined to find it—if they can stay alive. Because in this new, devastated world, every life has a price. And to some, you’re worth more dead than alive.


I have not read the Maze Runner series yet. My son, however raved about them. So, I decided to start with the beginning. I always like to see how a story begins. 

This book is right up my alley. A post apocalyptic story filled with death and suspense. You can very easily tell that this is a book written for a younger genre and that did take away from the story a bit. However, the overall plot was very solid. 

We follow a group of survivors as they try to find the source of a virus that has destroyed their fragile life.

Along with the main story, we see how the world as we knew it ended. The horrors that occurred was something that I cannot imagine. The sad part is, society will crumble with no order or something so shocking devastates society.  History has proven that, this book is just another example of human nature at its worst.

The characters in this book are well developed. I did find Mark a little childish. I would have thought that his survivor skills would've developed sooner. We didn't see a lot of Trina or some of the other characters.

As far as the story, there were several holes that I hope are answered in the main series.

Overall, a satisfying read, I wish there was more realism. Characters in stressful situations, do slip up and curse.


Quotes:

“Let's get this started, people. It won't be long before we all lose our minds.” 

“Oh, I'm good. Seriously, after all these years, you'd think I would stop amazing myself. But here I am, still doing it.”


Rating:





Until Next Time, 



No comments:

Post a Comment