Saturday, August 22, 2015

MInd Fuck




There are no bad guys or good guys. There are only better guys and worse guys.

One of the worse guys is Val Toreth. In a world in which torture is a legitimate part of the investigative process, he works for the Investigation and Interrogation Division, where his colleagues can be more dangerous than the criminals he investigates.

One of the better guys is Keir Warrick. His small corporation, SimTech, is developing a "sim" system that places users in a fully immersive virtual reality. A minnow in a murky and dangerous pond, he is only beginning to discover how many compromises may be required for success.

Their home is the dark future dystopia of New London. A totalitarian bureaucracy controls the European Administration, sharing political power with the corporations. The government uses violence and the many divisions of the feared Department of Internal Security to maintain control and crush resistance. The corporations fight among themselves, using lethal force under the euphemism of "corporate sabotage," uniting only to resist attempts by the Administration to extend its influence over them.

Toreth and Warrick are more natural enemies than allies. But mutual attraction and the fight for survival can create unlikely bonds.



First, I need to apologize for my absence. There has been a couple things in my life keeping me from the blog and the responsibility that I have to helping with this. 

One, is the game Destiny and the other is a new promotion I received in January.

Onto the book. 

I had come across this book many times in my search for new reading material, however, I could never bring myself to read it. I do not quite know why, however, I am glad that I finally read it. 

I believe that this book was published online first and then brought into the mainstream. (Hopefully I am correct).

Imagine a world, where society is completely autocratic. This book had a touch of that for me. The author had developed a very interesting society, where law enforcement had complete and unbridled authority to get the "confession" they needed. 

Toreth was one of these individuals tasked with investigating crime. His everyday actions were almost scripted. This was until, he met a man. A man that, believe will grow even closer to him as the series goes along. Warrick is someone that Toreth is not ready for. A wealthy, cocky, and all at the same time. 

After a one night stand, Toreth thought that he and Warrick were over, until a death at Warrick's company sends Toreth on an investigation that I didn't expect. 

Of course there were a few more cases of sex between the two, I just wished there was some more detail in the scenes. However, the case was one that left me guessing who did it. I figured it out in the last couple chapters, as I assumed that the story would quietly end. What I didn't expect was a curve ball of corporate corruption that I am hoping will play out very nicely in the upcoming books. 

Character development was nice. Slow at times, but I expected this as the series will give us that. 

I encourage you to give this a try. Was it the best book I've read, no but it satisfies a basic need that we readers have. The need to smile as we read. 

Rating:



Until Next Time, 

No comments:

Post a Comment