Saturday, January 18, 2014

Static




Damon Bryce is worried sick when he doesn’t hear from his girlfriend after she visits her estranged parents, but when he checks up on her, he’s in for the shock of his life: She’s a shifter, part of a small percentage of the population who can shift genders at will. Thanks to her parents, though, she’s been forcibly given an implant that leaves her static—unable to shift—and male.

Alex Nichols desperately wants the implant removed, but getting it out isn’t nearly as easy as putting it in. The surgery is expensive and dangerous. Left in, the implant carries its own set of risks, with the potential to cripple or even kill him. On top of that, he’s carefully kept his identity a secret from more people in his life than just Damon, and his parents aren’t the only ones appalled by shifters.

Stripped of half his identity and facing serious physical effects and social ramifications, Alex needs Damon more than ever, but he doesn’t see how their relationship can get through this unscathed.

Especially if Alex is a static male permanently.


What a cute, little story. However predictable, it was a great change of pace from the books I have been reading. This is the first book of this type that I have read and I was surprised that I enjoyed it.

First, I had no idea that this is a republish. So, I have no way to compare this to the prior edition. I did read the reviews for the first book and some of the issues that prior readers had, I didn't find. 

I think that there are a lot of people out there that have a very one track mind when it comes to reading. They have a very narrow mind when it comes to a plot. I however, love to read period and I enjoy a multitude of genres. There are a lot of authors out there that I think suffer from narrow minded readers. 

Anyway, off of my soapbox...

Plot Points. 

1. Very interesting thought of shifters that can switch between genders. 
2. There is a rigid religious belief that they should change or be forced to become static. Unable to change. 
3. There is a gross disrespect of the emotional stability of the shifters that have to make or be made to make this decision. 

Alex, a shifter and her/his boyfriend has to come face to face with this reality quickly. 

Issues

1. Alex didn't tell Damon that she was a shifter. 
2. How will he react when he finds that her parents for the procedure onto her and she is stuck as a male, named Jason. 
3. He is not "gay" and we see him work through all the emotions of love vs societal stereotypes.
4. We also see Alex's POV and how he struggles with the decision to press charges against his parents and the choice to have the procedure reversed. 

Questions for you, the reader? 

1. How will Alex and Damon work thorough the emotions?
2. Will Alex's parents pay for their abuse?
3. Is there a good support system in place for shifters, or Alex? 


Overall, this was a good book. I found myself reading it in one session. I had a smile on my face with the sweet sex scenes and the ending left me wanting more. Watching these two rediscover what they thought was gone with a sweet mixture of friends and retribution was a nice way to spend the evening. 

Thank You Riptide and NetGalley. Again, you deliver a great book for the readers to enjoy! 



Until Next Time, 








No comments:

Post a Comment