Sunday, July 21, 2013

Night Play (Dark-Hunter #6)




Bride McTierney has had it with men. They're cheap, self-centered, and never love her for who she is. But though she prides herself on being independent, deep down she still yearns for a knight in shining armor.

She just never expected her knight in shining armor to have a shiny coat of fur...

Deadly and tortured, Vane Kattalakis isn't what he seems. Most women lament that their boyfriends are dogs. In Bride's case, hers is a wolf. A Were-Hunter wolf. Wanted dead by his enemies, Vane isn't looking for a mate. But the Fates have marked Bride as his. Now he has three weeks to either convince Bride that the supernatural is real or he will spend the rest of his life neutered--something no self-respecting wolf can accept...

But how does a wolf convince a human to trust him with her life when his enemies are out to end his? In the world of the Were-Hunters, it really is dog-eat-dog. And only one alpha male can win.


I cannot help but wonder, why Sherrilyn is setting up this perfect world. There has to be a fantastic conclusion to this story? By reading CON, I know a little and these 7 or so books that I have read of the main series leads me to believe that Mrs. Kenyon is one of the best authors out there. 

The difference between here and some, like J.R. Ward, is that even though this is paranormal, one can believe The Dark Hunter series more. The stretch beyond the norm is more believable. Most of her characters have a play on the well established taboo of today. Also, the setting these stories take place in is more vast and seems more thought out. I had a fear in the beginning that with so many books, that the errors in the plot would play havoc with my mind. However, I am finding the exact opposite. 

This book is no different than the rest. We find ourselves getting more of the total picture. When we were first introduces to Vane, we were reading the story of the Celt and I knew there was more to him and Fang that meets the eyes. 

After the last book, with developments in the Apollite world, I assumed that there was more to Vane. Little did I know, he was the epitome of Katagria/Arcadian lore. 

And so it was. Whenever Lycaon blended an animal with a human, he, in fact, made two beings. One being who held an animal's heart and one who held a human heart.
Those who walked as men and who held human hearts were termed Arcadians after Lycaon's people. Those who held animal hearts were termed Katagaria.
The Katagaria were born as animals and lived as animals, yet once they reached puberty, when the magical powers were unlocked by their hormones, they would be able to become human—at least externally. Their animal hearts would always govern their actions.
Likewise, the Arcadians were born as humans and lived as humans until their puberty brought with it their magic and their ability to shift into animal form. i.e. Night Play


I also have to admit, the sex scenes between him and Bride was amazing. I was even a little turned on by the shower scene. :) 

Here are some plot points.

1. Ash is still a bad ass mofo! More and more I think I am developing a crush on him. Maybe, I am jealous of his kick ass powers!!
2. Simi, I would love to have my own personal Simi. More please Mrs. Kenyon!!!!!
3. A dysfunctional family system at it core. 
4. Lots of naked men, shifting into wolves.
5. A true Douchbag of an ex boyfriend that I am sure that too many women have met. 
6. A NORMAL WOMAN!!! Finally, a story without a negative 2 dress size leading lady! Kudos!!! Vane was right, a man does his meat on the bones to hold onto!
7. A love story that shows there are truly good men out there.  
8. Looks do not matter when games of the heart are in place. 
9. It is nice to see more of the inner working of Sanctuary. Nicolette is one scary yet amazing lady! 



Quotes:

“I think infatuation is like a garden. If tended and cared for, it grows into love. If neglected or abused it dies. The only way to have eternal love is to never let your heart forget what it's like to live without it.
-Vane”
Sherrilyn Kenyon, Night Play


“See... I knew baby Marissa was quality people, look how she's eating the head off the red-headed Artemis doll. Simi need to teach her to belch fire, then introduce her to the real heifer-Goddess herself(Simi)”
Sherrilyn Kenyon, Night Play


“I'm human," he said in a tormented tone. "And I'm not." He dropped his hand to her shoulder. "I never knew softness," he breathed. "Not until the moment you touched me in your store. My life is violent and dangerous. Its dark and twisted and no place for someone like you. I have more people wanting me dead than I can count. They will stop at nothing, and you.." He ground his teeth before he spoke again. "You'll never want again for anything in your life. I swear it on what little bit of human soul I have left.”
Sherrilyn Kenyon, Night Play


“I need dating advice. Fast...Julian, how did you meet your wife?"

Julian shrugged. "My brother the sex god cursed me into a book for two thousand years. Grace got drunk on her birthday and summoned me out of it."

Vane rolled his eyes. "That's useless. Kyrian? What about you?"

"I woke up handcuffed to Amanda."

Vane could work with that. "So I need to get a set of handcuffs?”
Sherrilyn Kenyon, Night Play


Rating:

Only because I lost interest at one point.




Until next time,


No comments:

Post a Comment