Thursday, July 25, 2013

Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #1)




For years, Old Gregory has been the Spook for the county, ridding the local villages of evil. Now his time is coming to an end. But who will take over for him? Twenty-nine apprentices have tried—some floundered, some fled, some failed to stay alive.

Only Thomas Ward is left. He's the last hope, the last apprentice.


I have to admit that this story does not remind me of the preview of the movie. I do understand that there is quite a few books in this series and I have learned that movies usually do not do books justice. 

We have a setting that is clearly well outside the norm that you and I find ourselves in. The characters in this story are only able to travel by foot or carriage. The evening light only comes from candles and the world is so scattered that each village is separated by vast forests or mountains. This is a perfect setting for the series that is developing quite nicely. 

I find myself remembering the first Harry Potter book. There is clearly a YA motif here, but the darkness that is riddled throughout the story leads me to believe that there is great potential with this story. 

We are taken though the first month or so of the training of one child named Tom. The Spook is a man that is responsible for vanquishing everything that goes "bump" in the night. 

The main evil in this story is an old witch. We get to see Tom learn some very valuable lessons and grow in the beginning of his journey. 

Tom meets a girl, Alice the niece of one of the witches. I am left with several questions about her but I believe that she is going to be an amazing friend and ally for Tom and the Spook.

There is a hidden prophecy here too.....Oh the irony of that! 

Quotes: 

“And an unaware witch means a witch who doesn't know she's a witch, and because she's a women that makes her double trouble. Never trust a women."
My mothers a women," I said, suddenly feeling a little angry, "and I trust her."
Mothers are usually women," said the Spook. "And mothers are usually quite trustworthy, as long as your their son. Otherwise look out!”

Joseph Delaney, Revenge of the Witch



Rating: 

With the descriptive environment and great, simple prose, I am left with a warm feeling....




Until next time,




No comments:

Post a Comment