Thursday, September 12, 2013

Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1)




Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or
Other Entertainment.

Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he’s the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the “everyday” world is actually full of strange and magical things — and most of them don’t play well with humans. That’s where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a — well, whatever.

There’s just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry’s seeing dollar signs. But where there’s black magic, there’s a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry’s name. And that’s when things start to get… interesting.

Magic. It can get a guy killed.

I am torn on how I feel about this book. 

For starters, I think the author is extremely intelligent man. I can see where they way he writes can turn off a lot of readers. There is only so much description a reader can handle. That is my main issue with this book. However, the story as a whole was really good. Also, it is quite possible that the audio version that I listened to could have jaded my impression as the man's voice was very monotone. 

Onto the plot of the story. I love these types of stories and I found myself drawn into the world of Harry Dresden. He is a very odd character to get used to. The whole dark wizard, wizard for hire, bitchy cop story was really good. I will tell you that the second book that I am in is much better. 

Couple other points.

1. I can feel the author's hesitance with potential sex scenes. 
2. Also, the never never is an odd name for a place where every benevolent creature lives. Everytime, I hear it I think of Peter Pan and Tinker Bell with Never Never Land. 
3. The gore needs to get better. 

I know that this series has a massive following and I hope this is the typical first book jitters. Perhaps the best reference I can give is J.K. Rowling and the growth of the Harry Potter novels. Before the Deathly Hallows was published, I returned to the series, hoping to reread them. However, when I opened The Chamber of Secrets and compared it to the best in the series, The Order of the Phoenix, I could tell a stark difference in prose. The first being childish and the later being a sold piece of fiction. 


Onward wayward soldiers!!! 


Quotes 


“Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.”

Have you ever felt despair? Absolute hopelessness? Have you ever stood in the darkness and known, deep in your heart, in your spirit, that it was never, ever going to get better? That something had been lost, forever, and that it wasn't coming back?”


Rating 




Until Next Time, 




1 comment:

  1. I tell everyone I pimp this series to: "YOU HAVE TO KEEP GOING AFTER THE FIRST BOOK" lol. I personally loved it, but I know it's tough to get through. He's planning on 20 or so total books, Brook, and there are SIDE STORIES! *OMG* that you will love as well. Thanks so much for highlighting JB, I love him to pieces. XOXO

    ReplyDelete