Sunday, September 8, 2013

Fangirl



Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.
Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?


Cath is off to college and everything is changing. Her twin, Wren wants to make a new life where no one knows shes a twin and Cath just doesn't get why things have to change. They've always done everything together. Cath just assumed that the way they had been would be the way they would continue to be. In life though things have to change for people to grow.

So they go off to college, the same one but apart. Cath has a roommate Reagan, who's different. Reagan takes Cath under her wing, albeit begrudgingly but she does. They end up being cafeteria buddies, because it seems that Cath just doesn't want to eat without Wren. It's too hard to be a single person when she's spent the better part of her life a double.

One thing that stays the same is Cath's love for fan fiction. She writes Simon Snow fan fiction. I know right what the hell is fan fiction? Well lets see, its fiction written by fans based on the original stories.  Dur right? I'm not even going to pretend that I don't know what fan fiction is because I have read quite a few fan fics. Anyyyy way.. Cath writes it and she used to write it with Wren, it was their thing to get them through rough times.

Levi is a mystery. He's always around, he's Reagan's friend or boyfriend. Cath isn't sure but he flirts a lot with her and it unnerves her.

"How can the fact that your identical twin sister is super hot be offensive to you?"

"Because," Cath said, still too encouraged by Wren and, weirdly, by Abel, and maybe even by Nick to let this get to her right now. "It makes me feel like the Ugly One"

"You're not the ugly one." Levi grinned. "You're just the Clark Kent."

Cath started checking her e-mail.

"Hey, Cath," Levi said, kicking her chair. She could hear the teasing in his voice. "Will you warn me when you take off your glasses?"

Yeah so lets just say I love Levi. He's just so, I don't even know what the word is but he's it and I like him. Also I know there was a mention of Abel in that quote up there, he's Cath's long distance boyfriend.  Really he's not too much to mention cause he's a jerk too. I'm just sayin!

Okay, so Cath has started to learn how to be a singular person and do things with people other than her sister. She starts hanging out with Levi, cause he's always around. She even starts reading her fan fiction out loud to him.  He's just so damn cute and she tries to resist him she truly does but its kinda like the Borg, resistance is futile.

"What if I promise not to touch you?"

Cath laughed. "Now I have zero incentive to come."

"What if I promise to let you touch me first?"

"Are you kidding?" I'm the untrustworthy person in this relationship. I'm all hands."

"I've seen no evidence of that, Cather."

"In my head, I'm all hands"

"I want to live in your head"


SEE!!! *Dead*  So much more is going on in this relationship. Really too much to even talk about here, without giving away EVERYTHING. I just can't even I loved this book so much. You've got to check it out. Find out how it all works out with her sister and with  Levi. Even some of the things going on at home that makes her think twice about staying at school. I'm not saying that this is all fluff and stuff. Things go on but I don't want to spoil it for you. You just have to go read it. Dew it. You won't regret it and you can even read some Simon Snow stories while your at it!  Just re-reading the quotes I had highlighted, makes me want to read it all over again. I just might have to do that.




No comments:

Post a Comment