Sunday, May 19, 2013

Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder (The Grimm Diaries Prequels #2)




Seventeen-year-old Alice Grimm lives a dangerously enchanted life. Other than being distracted by a Dreamhunter called Loki Blackstar who has a heart of gold but acts like a jerk, she has a job to do. Being a descendant of the Brothers Grimm, she is one of few in the world who can locate the fairy tale characters and remind them of who they are. This time, Alice flies to Venice where an 800 hundred year old witch's skeleton surrounded with seventeen glass slippers was found by archeologists in the city that invented the art of glassblowing. When Alice and Loki follow the lead, they find one of the fairy tale characters she had been searching for. It's a famous girl character that you know by name, but never really knew what actually happened to her.

This Grimm Diaries Prequels are a number of short books in the form of epistolary diary entries. The diaries are more of teasers for the upcoming series: The Grimm Diaries, allowing you to get a glimpse of what to expect of the series.



 I have waited to write these reviews until I finished all 15 prequels. There are many reasons....

Mostly, I was lazy :) 

Here we meet a young girl, Alice, who turns out to be a descendant of the Grimm Brothers. She is determined to help Cinderella. You never find out why until later in the prequels, just how tied these two characters are to each other. Alice is convinced that Cinderella is cursed and trapped in a dream world. 

Cameron has a great ability to tie mythology into his writing and this is no different. 

We also meet an arrogant dream hunter, Loki. His smart ass remarks almost get annoying as the story moves on. 

Once they locate, Cinderella's body (so we think), we are transported to Venice Italy, where we are treated to the story of a witch and seventeen glass slippers. Alice and the readers are transported to several scenes where we continue to try and save Cinderella. Kinda, groundhog day like....


Anyways, Cameron has really changed the classic fairy tales for me. Once, I got past the grammar and spelling issues, I really enjoyed this slice of the Kingdom of Sorrow. 



Onward...Book 3 :) 

Until Next Time, 



  


2 comments:

  1. So my question is not so much story related as age appropriate related. What age group do you thing is the youngest that should read these?. I am always on the hunt for books for my soon to be 12 year old daughter. She loves supernatural and paranormal type books, and this sounds like a series she might enjoy. Would you recommend it for her age?
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as the story develops, there are some dark parts and death. All of these prequels are time jumped, giving us a little glimpse into the characters. It could be confusing to a younger age group. Honestly, not until I read the 14th, did some of it make sense. I would let my 13yr old son read this. There is no sex, or graphic cursing, but I could see it develop in the main stories. I know I didn't answer your question directly, I guess it depends on the maturity of your daughter. If she is already reading some YA paranormal she might be fine. I would recommend them for you as well.

    Thanks
    Jay

    ReplyDelete