Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Dead Ever After


*Review contains SPOILERS*


Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris

There are secrets in the town of Bon Temps, ones that threaten those closest to Sookie—and could destroy her heart....

Sookie Stackhouse finds it easy to turn down the request of former barmaid Arlene when she wants her job back at Merlotte’s. After all, Arlene tried to have Sookie killed. But her relationship with Eric Northman is not so clearcut. He and his vampires are keeping their distance…and a cold silence. And when Sookie learns the reason why, she is devastated. 

Then a shocking murder rocks Bon Temps, and Sookie is arrested for the crime.

But the evidence against Sookie is weak, and she makes bail. Investigating the killing, she’ll learn that what passes for truth in Bon Temps is only a convenient lie. What passes for justice is more spilled blood. And what passes for love is never enough…**


Where do I even begin with this book. I felt like I was missing something the entire time I read this, I even went back and skimmed the book that came out before this one but it didn't help.  I felt like Harris was talking in code and it was a code that I wasn't let in on. I know there was a huge controversy about who Sookie ended up with at the end of this series and honestly I could care less about that. In fact it wasn't a huge plot point to me at all. Eric was barely around and when she did talk to him he was more curt and abrupt then he was already.  I think that this book was rushed and it had a great deal of things going on that weren't needed.

A whole host of people we know from other books in this series. Bob, Amelia and Barry the bellboy come with Mr. Cataliades and Diantha to help Sookie when she runs in to trouble that supernatural things can't fix. She's accused of murder, and the officer isn't listening to her alibi.  This hiccup is a result of a hatred of Sookie by a mystery person. There are so many other characters that come back in this book you almost need a guide to tell you who they are unless you've just finished reading the books recently.

I really want to blurt it all out and tell everything that happened but I won't because there are some that are looking forward to reading this, I was one of those. I read this entire series not having a problem with any of the books, some were slow but all in all I enjoyed them. This book left me lacking that sense of happiness I usually have from reading a book in a series I like. I just in general didn't like it. I don't care that she ended up with Sam. I did miss the Eric I'd grown to know and enjoy, I even missed Pam. So much was missing that  and then stuff was added that made no sense. People who were minor characters are now major characters.

I can't say that you'll enjoy this book, but it is the end and I had to finish the series. 

**Goodreads summary



1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm a new follower through GFC and bloglovin from Book Blogs! Check out my blog here Bookish Whimsy, and hopefully you would like to follow back. :)

    I just reviewed this book on my blog too, though I actually did enjoy it! I can see your point though because the book felt more like a trip down memory lane, and Charlaine Harris was trying to wrap up as many characters as possible. I did have to draw from memory alot on what had happened before but overall I felt like it was a good ending for Sookie so I liked the book. :)

    ReplyDelete